This Labor Day

Boy howdy, we did our best to fend off any labor this Labor Day weekend and we succeeded.

Back to the real world tomorrow.

It’s so hard to remember that we’ve only lived here for 6 weeks. It feels like forever. Our contractor came by today so we could sign the last disbursement check.  We will call the bank tomorrow and make sure all our i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed. That part of the adventure is over.

From here on out it’s all us. Improvements will come from our effort and not outside requirements. It’s a little bit overwhelming but more so it is nice that we will no longer have other people breathing down our necks and directing our fate.

I’m still working out a way to generate income off this place. At 9.5 acres it will never grow commodities, which is fine with me although I wouldn’t have minded doing that. It’s not nearly enough land to make any real money off livestock, which is fine too although I wouldn’t have minded doing that. It is big enough to grow vegetables for a farmer’s market but that is incredibly intensive. If I were in Arkansas I could build a couple of chicken houses and raise chickens for the big chicken corporation… but I don’t think I would do that. Luckily, right now we don’t need it to be our sole income but I would like for it to help pay the mortgage or at least the property taxes.

It’s a quandary. If you have a suggestion I would love to hear it. (Seriously, leave it in the comments!)

I am thinking about trying some ginseng or other woods grown specialty crops in the 3 acres of woods. Maybe also some mushroom logs. I really want to preserve what trees are left.

There is one thing that is non-negotiable, I intend to grow as much of our food as possible, including protein and grains. I would like to produce our own dairy goods too but that is not set in concrete.  Milking and working, sometimes they don’t mix. Ideally we would reach that magic subsistence of yesteryear where we consume 80% of what we grow and sell the other 20%.

Wouldn’t that be loverly?

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “This Labor Day

  1. It would be loverly. Whatever happened to those magic subsistence farmers anyway? 😉 Ginseng is 5-7 years to any income and always subject to poaching. Scary. If you have a market for meat rabbits they’re an easy business to get into. Good luck!

  2. L. Katherine Roberts

    Are there any restaurants in your area that utilize organic ingredients? Perhaps you could serve as one of their vendors. A green grocer might be interested as well. Businesses may be able to guide your choices. Oh yes– I know there’s a market for dried hydrangeas too.

    1. freethnkr1965

      There is a co-op market in Eatonville I’m going to check into. I am seriously thinking about planting several hydrangeas and giving that a try too. I need a hydrangea broker… 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s